Skiurlaub- günstig mit FeWo-direkt
Bundesliga-Tickets mit Garantie!

Espresso der Extra-Klasse

Hotelsuche in 


Hungary, Szombathely
Von Wikipedia - die freie Nachrichtenenzyklopädie   auf Facebook posten  Auf Twitter posten  

"Szombathely" (, also known by alternative names) is a city in Hungary. It is the administrative center of the Vas county in the west of the country, located near the border with Austria.

Szombathely lies by the streams "Perint" and "Gyöngyös", at , where the Alpokalja (Lower Alps) mountains meet the Little Hungarian Plain.

rigins of nam
The name "Szombathely" is from Hungarian "szombat", "Saturday" and "hely", "place", referring to the fact that medieval markets were held on Saturday every week.

The German name "Steinamanger" means "stones on a field" (Stein am Anger), and it refers to the ruins of the Roman city Savaria.
There is another theory for the name "Steinamanger". A couple of historians think the German name refers to the earthquake in 458 which destroyed the city.

The Latin name "Savaria" or "Sabaria" comes from "Sibaris", the Latin name for the stream Gyöngyös. The root of the word is the Proto-Indo-European word "seu", meaning "wet". The Austrian reach of the stream is still called "Zöbern", a variation of its Latin name. Other languages: in Croatian "Sambotel", in Slovene "Sombotel".

avaria, the Roman cit
Szombathely is the oldest city in Hungary. It was founded in 45 AD by the name of "Colonia Claudia Savariensum" (Claudius" Colony of Savarians) and it was the capital of "Pannonia Superior" province of the Roman Empire. It lay close to the important trade route, the "Amber Road". The city also had an imperial residence, a public bath and an amphitheatre. Remains of a mithraeum were discovered in 2008.

Emperor Constantine the Great visited Savaria several times. He ended the persecution of Christians, which previously claimed the lives of many people in the area, including Bishop St. Quirinus, St. Rutilus and St. Irenaeus. The emperor reorganised the colonies and made Savaria the capital of the province "Pannonia Prima". This era was the height of prosperity for Savaria, its population grew, new buildings were erected, among them theatres and churches. St. Martin of Tours was born here.

After the death of Emperor Valentianus the Huns invaded Pannonia and Attila"s armies occupied Savaria between 441 and 445. The city was destroyed by an earthquake in 458.

avaria/Szombathely in the Middle Age
The Cathedral
The city remained inhabited in spite of all the difficulties. Its city walls were restored, many new (although less magnificent) buildings were built using the stones from the destroyed Roman buildings. The Latin population moved away, mostly to Italy, but new settlers arrived, mostly Goths and Longobards.

In the 6th–8th centuries the city was inhabited by Eurasian Avars and Slavic tribes. In 795 the Franks defeated them and occupied the city. Even Charlemagne himself visited the city where St. Martin was born.

King Arnulf of the Franks gave the city to the archbishof Salzburg in 875. It is likely that the castle was built around this time, using the stones from the Roman bath. Later Savaria was captured by Moravians, but Moravian rule was short, because around 900 the city was occupied by Hungarians.

In 1009 Stephen I gave the city to the newly founded Diocese of Győr. The city suffered a lot between 1042 and 1044 during the war between King Sámuel Aba and Holy Roman Emperor Henry III.

Szombathely was destroyed during the Mongol invasion of Hungary in 1241–1242 but was rebuilt shortly after and was granted Free royal town status in 1407. In 1578 it became the capital of Vas comitatus

The city prospered until 1605 when it was occupied by the armies of István Bocskai.

zombathely in modern time
Szombathely Franciscan Church
During the Ottoman occupation of Hungary the Ottomans invaded the area twice, first in 1664, when they were defeated at the nearby town Szentgotthárd, and later in 1683, when they wanted to occupy Vienna but were defeated, and pillaged many towns on their way back; but the city walls protected Szombathely both times. After the country was freed from ottoman rule, peaceful times came, until Prince Rákóczi"s revolution against the Habsburgs came in the early 18th century.

During the revolution the city supported the prince, but was occupied by the Habsburg armies in 1704. It was freed in November 1705 but was occupied again in the beginning of 1706. In the next few years it was occupied a few more times by both armies.

In June of 1710, more than 2000 people lost their lives in a plague, and on May 3, 1716 the city was destroyed by a fire. New settlers came to replace the dead population, most of the were Germans, and the city had a German majority for a long time. The city began to prosper again, with the support of Ferenc Zichy, the Bishop of Győr a gymnasium was built in 1772, and the Diocese of Szombathely was founded in 1777 by Maria Theresa. The new bishop of Szombathely, János Szily did much for the city, he had the ruins of the castle demolished and had new buildings to be built, including a cathedral, the episcopal palace complex and a school (opened in 1793).

In 1809 Napoleon"s armies occupied the city and held it for 110 days, following a short battle on the main square. In 1817 2/3 of the city was destroyed by fire. In 1813 a cholera epidemic claimed many lives.

During the revolution in 1848-49 Szombathely supported the revolution, but there were no fights in the area, because the city remained under Habsburg rule. The years after the Austro-Hungarian Compromise of 1867 brought prosperity. The railway line reached the city in 1865, and in the 1870s Szombathely became a major railway junction. In 1885 the nearby villages "Ó-Perint" and "Szentmárton" were annexed to the city.

In the 1890s, when Gyula Éhen was the mayor, the city developed a lot. Roads were paved, the city was canalized, the tram line was built between the rail station, the downtown and the Calvary Church. The City Casino, the Great Hotel and the area"s first orphanage were built. The population became four times larger under four decades.

During the mayoralty of Tóbiás Brenner the prospering continued, the museum and the public bath, the monasteries and several new downtown mansions were built, a school of music was founded and the city got an orchestra.

zombathely in the 20th and 21st centurie
The County Hall
After the Treaty of Trianon Hungary lost many of its western territories to Austria, and Szombathely, being only 10 kilometres from the new state border, ceased to be the centre of Western Hungary. Charles IV, when trying to get the throne of Hungary back, was greeted with enthusiasm in Szombathely, but his attempt to regain rule over Hungary failed.

Between the world wars Szombathely prospered, lots of schools were founded, and between 1926 and 1929 the Transdanubian region"s most modern hospital was built.

During World War 2, as with many other towns in the region, Szombathely became a target due to the railway, junction, marshalling yards, local aerodrome, and barracks. The town therefore formed part of the logistical military infrastructure supporting Axis forces. The town and locality was attacked by day on several occasions in 1944 and 1945 by aircraft of the US 15th Air Force, which also included aircraft from the Royal Air Force 205 Group which made their attacks by night. These aircraft operated from bases in Italy.

On 28 March 1945 the 6th SS Panzer and 6th Armies were pushed back by an assault across the Raba River by the 46th and 26th Armies of the USSR and the 3rd Ukrainian Front. Soviet forces came in control of Szombathely on 29 March 1945.

After the war the city grew, absorbing many nearby villages ("Gyöngyöshermán, Gyöngyösszőlős, Herény, Kámon, Olad, Szentkirály, Zanat" and "Zarkaháza"). During the revolution in 1956 it was occupied by the Soviet army.

In the 1970s the city was industrialized, many factories were built. In the 1980s the city prospered, several new buildings were built, including the County Library, public indoor swimming pools, a gallery.

In 2006 the refurbishing of the city centre"s main square was completed, with financial assistance from EU funds.

History of Szombathely"s Jewish communities
In 1567 Emperor Maximilian II. granted to the town the privilege of allowing none but Catholics to dwell within its walls; and even in the 17th and 18th centuries, when the municipal authorities rented shops to Jews, the latter were only permitted to remain in the town during the day, and then only without their families. Down to the beginning of the nineteenth century only three or four Jewish families succeeded in taking up permanent residence. The members of the little community of Stein-am-Anger, therefore, dwelt not in the town itself, but in the outlying districts (now united into one municipality). They separated in 1830 from the community of Rechnitz (Rohonc), of which they had previously formed a part, and were henceforth known as the community of Szombathely. When the Jews of Hungary were emancipated by the law of 1840, the city was obliged to open its doors to them; but at the beginning of the revolution of 1848 they were not only attacked and plundered, but threatened with expulsion. The authorities interfered, however, and when peace was restored, the community quickly developed.

The first Jewish elementary school was founded in 1846, and was organized as a normal school in 1905, with four grades and about 230 pupils. The first synagogue was built by the former lord of the town, Duke Batthyányi, who sold it to the Jews. In 1880 a large temple was built; it is one of the handsomest edifices of its kind in Hungary. The founder of the community and its first rabbi was Ludwig Königsberger (d. 1861); he was succeeded in turn by Leopold Rockenstein, Joseph Stier(), and Béla Bernstein (called in 1892; ). A small Orthodox congregation, numbering about 60 or 70 members, separated from the main body in 1870. According to the 1910 census, 10.1% of the population, 3125 people were Jewish by religion. Between July 4 and 6, 1944, 4228 Jews were deported
by the Hungarian authorities from Szombathely to Auschwitz.

The former Jewish Temple was designed by Ludwig Schöne, combining oriental and Romantic elements. It has been functioning as a concert hall since 1975. A memorial outside commemorates the Jews deported in World War II.


zombathely"s twin town
Twin towns of Szombathely are:
* Ferrara (Italy)
* Kaufbeuren (Bavaria, Germany)
* Kolding (Denmark)
* Lappeenranta (Finland)
* Maribor (Slovenia)
* Ramat-Gan (Israel)
* Yoshkar-Ola (Russia)

Famous people associated with Szombathely
* József Asbóth, winner of the 1947 French Open
* Róbert Fazekas
* Gábor Király
* Paul László
* Martin of Tours
* Sándor Weöres
* László Bárdossy
* Leopold Bloom ("Virág", originally "Blum"), a fictional character in the James Joyce novel "Ulysses"
* László Almásy, born in Burgenland
* László Magyar, explorer of Africa
* Johannes Kretz, composer
* Adrián Annus
* Krisztián Pars
* Nikolett Szabó
* Péter Halmosi
* György Garics
* Eugene Lukacs


* by Isidore Singer & Bela Bernstein

xternal link
* - More historical and touristic information
* - Szombathely-based website with news, photogaleries and a lot more other info
* (Roman ruins)
* (switch browser to Central European encoding to properly view it)

Category:County seats in Hungary
Category:Cities, towns and villages in Hungary
Category:Cities, towns and villages in Vas county
Category:45 establishments

Dieser Artikel stammt aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und kann dort bearbeitet werden. Der Text ist unter der Lizenz Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike verfügbar. Fassung vom 23.03.2018 04:12 von den Wikipedia-Autoren.


Kommentare zu diesem Artikel
Neuer Kommentar
Name *
Email * (wird nicht öffentlich angezeigt)
* Pflichtangaben
Diesen Artikel empfehlen

Absender Empfänger Nachricht (optional)

Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Reiseportal
"Hungary" ( ), officially the "Republic of Hungary" (Hungarian:"Magyar Köztársaság" , literally "Hungarian Republic"), is a landlocked country in Central Europe. It is situated in the
"Miskolc" (, , ) is a city in northeastern Hungary, mainly with heavy industrial background. With a population close to 180,000 (2001) Miskolc is the third-largest city of Hungary (behind Budapest and Debrecen; second-largest with agglomeration.) It
Bolza CastleBékés county in Hungary"Szarvas" (German: "Sarwasch", Slovak: "Sarvaš") is a town Békés county in southeastern Hungary. The Hungarian placename Szarvas means "deer" in English.HistoryThe first agricultural high-school in the Kingdom
"Bicske" is a town in Fejér county, Hungary. istorAs for a document dating to 1306, referring to when Botond’s sons János (John) and Peter got the permission for toll on their possession including the town, Bicske was written "Bykche", "Biccke",
"Szombathely" (, also known by alternative names) is a city in Hungary. It is the administrative center of the Vas county in the west of the country, located near the border with Austria.ocatioSzombathely lies by the streams "Perint" and
Bolza CastleBékés county in Hungary"Szarvas" (German: "Sarwasch", Slovak: "Sarvaš") is a town Békés county in southeastern Hungary. The Hungarian placename Szarvas means "deer" in English.HistoryThe first agricultural high-school in the Kingdom
Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Nachrichtenportal
Brussels (dpa) - Leaders of the European Union have decided to recall the bloc‘s ambassador to Moscow for consultations in light of the nerve agent attack on former Russian spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter, Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte
Brussels (dpa) - Leaders of the European Union agree that Russia was "highly likely" responsible for the nerve agent attack on former Russian spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter, European Council President Donald Tusk has said."#EUCO agrees with UK
Brussels (dpa) - Leaders of the European Union agree that Russia was "highly likely" responsible for the nerve agent attack on former Russian spy Sergey Skripal and his daughter, European Council President Donald Tusk has said."#EUCO agrees with UK
Barcelona (dpa) - Catalan separatists failed in their attempt to get ahead of the Spanish judiciary and elect a regional president in a surprise emergency session of parliament on Thursday night.The candidate, 51-year-old former government spokesman
Berlin (dpa) - The German government has approved the sale of eight patrol boats to Saudi Arabia despite a previously agreed export ban due to the country‘s involvement in the Yemen war. The boats are to be made by shipbuilders company Luerssen
Oslo (dpa) - Following a heated debate, the Norwegian parliament voted on Thursday to cooperate more closely with the European Union‘s energy authority.Based in the Slovenian capital Ljubljana, the European Agency for the Cooperation of Energy


(23.03.2018 04:12)

-1 / 5 °C

-1 / 7 °C
0 / 7 °C
powered by
Stock News


Agenda - The Week Ahea ...
Agenda - The Week Ahea ...

Afghan Farah Governor ...
Ministry Warns Cinema ...

EXTRA Dutch PM: EU to ...
Germany to sell Saudi ...

URGENT: Norway's Bjoe ...
China highlights Beiji ...





© europe online publishing house GmbH, Weiden, Germany, | Impressum