Skiurlaub- günstig mit FeWo-direkt
     
Hotelsuche in 
 

The Forbidden Street

Germany
Von Jürgen Herda   auf Facebook posten  Auf Twitter posten  
The Kaiser ordered the use of his own official route but was also very aware of the advantages of the ‘forbidden’ option. Charles IV sent his own Imperial Regalia on the forbidden street through Waidhaus, which shows that there was indeed good reason to circumnavigate the heights of Bärnau as proved by the routing of the A6, the modern alternative to the ancient trade route, which seems to follow the unauthorised path.
GALLERY

Schnaittenbach



If viewed from above the Kaolinite quarry looks like a glacier eating its way towards the town. It was a poor bookkeeper, Daniel Christoph Eduard Kick who founded the Upper Pfalz Kaolinite industry in a barn attached to the Löwenwirt inn in 1833. All important sights lie on the long road along which the town is built, for instance the baroque St Vitus church whose nave was extended in 1910/11 or the town hall (Rathaus) with its herb garden dating from the 17th Century.

The star chef Thomas Kellermann has found a way to put the castle facilities to excellent use in the onetime home of the noble Nothafft family. The reputed restaurant Kastell (www.burg-wernberg.de) has been exciting guests and gaining notoriety, and rooms can be booked in the hotel for between €139 and €310 per night.

Detailed Detour
Holzhammer: This old Hammerschloss from 18th Century and the Schloss chapel St Maria with its acanthus altar lies 4.7km east of Schnaittenbach.
Oberköblitz: An old pilgrimage church St Emmeram lies atop a hill, and a grave memorial with a red marble stone remembers Sir Albrecht Nothafft.
Leuchtenberg: The mighty ruins from 1300 on top of the 537m high granite cliff are home to the most visited open-air stage in the Upper Pfalz. www.burgfestspiele.de
Unterwildenau: Hammerschloss (17th Century) and chapel St Lorenz with an Acanthus altar lies 6.8km north of Wernberg.
Friedrichsburg in Vohenstrauss.


Vohenstrauß


The most prominent landmark of this town of around 7500 residents is the Friedrichsburg. The town was the family seat of the Grand Duke Friedrich von der Pfalz-Zweibrücken-Vohenstrauß-Parkstein. The castle itself is square, has four round towers at its corners and a main entrance gate, three stories and was built in the renaissance period. The original use of the building is not known, but today it hosts concerts and exhibitions in its partially renovated rooms. The Heimatmuseum (homeland museum) in the Ackerbürgerhaus (Sophienstraße 9) also houses an old mill and the Edelsteinmuseum (precious stones) in the Amselweg 10 are both worth a stop.

Pleystein

The little town of Pleystein in the Upper Pfalz Forest is situated on rose quartz cliffs in the middle on which the Kreuzbergkirche was built in 1817. It was burnt to the ground in 1907 and rebuilt in the baroque style next to the abbey. The Kreuzbergfest (festival) draws thousands of pilgrims and visitors at the beginning of May to one of Bavaria’s most beautiful geotopes. On the Marktplatz 25 you will find the Heimat und Mineralien (homeland and minerals) Museum full of information about the local natural deposits and the area. The new gothic parish church of St Sigismund replaced its predecessor that burnt to the ground in 1901.

Waidhaus


Just off the busy main road lies a pretty little hamlet with the parish church of St Emmeram and several old farmhouses. This tiny village on the border now has a motorway chapel, a nature reservation and a campsite with a heated outdoor swimming pool in Bäckeröd.

Rozvadov/Roßhaupt

The first Czech settlement beyond the border is the destination for many bargain hunters. The baroque Wenzelskirche is still awaiting restoration. There is a beautiful nature reserve along the border which has been protected since 1984, the Naturreservat Jezirka u Rozvadova.

P?imda /Pfraumberg

The castle and the trade route were the reason this little settlement evolved. It probably was founded shortly after the Schutzburg (protective castle) was built, the ruins of which are still to be seen on a nearby hill. The little town of 1500 residents has a Roman church (Georgskirche) and an impressive statue of Nepomuk, the patron Saint of Bohemia.




Bor/Haid

Castle in Bor.

Large parts of the town were destroyed in WWII, but despite this the district of the town around the St Nikolaus church was crowned a site of cultural heritage in 1992. During the medieval festival the castle can be viewed, and each year there is a pilgrimage to the Black Madonna in the Loretto Kirche.











This Article is part of the tour "The Golden Road"
Travel
 

 

Kommentare zu diesem Artikel
 
Neuer Kommentar
Name *
Email * (wird nicht öffentlich angezeigt)
Kommentar
* Pflichtangaben
 
Diesen Artikel empfehlen

Absender Empfänger Nachricht (optional)
Name
E-Mail

Name
E-Mail
   
 
 
Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Reiseportal
 
REISEPORTAL
It is at this stage of the journey that the Golden Road splits. The good took the ‘right’ way through Weiden and Bärnau, the bad through Wernberg and Waidhaus, which in the end proved to be the cheaper of the two. Despite the popularity of two routes
Like a spider keeping watch over its web, Amberg is actually situated several kilometres south of the Golden Road behind its still almost complete town walls, but for the tradesmen en route, it would almost certainly have opened its gates. The detour
The wealth of the Upper Palatinate and Amberg with its official residence and importance at the centre of the mining industry influenced the architecture in the area greatly. Between the ‘Hammerschlösser’ (the mansions built by the aristocracy near
Kaiser Barbarossa made Eger the seat of his Kingdom and the surrounding area was redesigned and refurbished, creating what was to be an example to all regions under the name of Provincia Egrensis. Later as Kaiser Ludwig of Bavaria had to give up the
Kaiser Barbarossa made Eger the seat of his Kingdom and the surrounding area was redesigned and refurbished, creating what was to be an example to all regions under the name of Provincia Egrensis. Later as Kaiser Ludwig of Bavaria had to give up the
Kaiser Barbarossa made Eger the seat of his Kingdom and the surrounding area was redesigned and refurbished, creating what was to be an example to all regions under the name of Provincia Egrensis. Later as Kaiser Ludwig of Bavaria had to give up the
 
Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Nachrichtenportal
 
NACHRICHTEN
There comes a time in everyone’s life when they have to address the age-old question: “What do you want to be when you grow up? There comes a time in everyone’s life when they have to address the age-old question: “What do you want to be
Hosts Brazil escaped Chile 3-2 on a penalty shoot-out to reach the World Cup quarter-finals Saturday, thanks to two saves from Julio Cesar, the goalpost and successful spot kicks from David Luiz, Marcelo and Neymar. Belo Horinzonte, Brazil (dpa) -
Einer der ältesten Nationalparks Europas soll frei von neuen Staudämmen bleiben. 97.804 Menschen unterzeichneten ein Protestschreiben gegen den geplanten Bau zweier großer Wasserkraftwerke im Mavrovo Nationalpark in Mazedonien, das heute dem
Greece's parliament on Tuesday said it will move ahead with a renewed demand to pursue World War II reparations from Germany. Speaking in parliament, leftist Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said it was a moral obligation for Greece to seek war
A new sleek skyscraper complex on the bank of the Main River that runs through Frankfurt will be the new headquarters of the European Central Bank (ECB). Frankfurt (dpa) - The new headquarters, constructed at the site of an old wholesale fruit and
Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras is scheduled to hold talks with Russian President Vladimir Putin in Moscow on Wednesday in an effort to boost economic cooperation, investment and trade relations between the two countries. Athens (dpa) - Ahead
Ecken
LÄNDER
STÄDTE
EUROPA-TOUREN
© europe online publishing house GmbH, Weiden, Germany, info@europeonline-magazine.eu | Impressum