Skiurlaub- günstig mit FeWo-direkt


Espresso der Extra-Klasse


     
Hotelsuche in 
 

Arezzo

Italy, Arezzo
Von Wikipedia - die freie Nachrichtenenzyklopädie   auf Facebook posten  Auf Twitter posten  

| province = (AR)
| frazioni = see list
| mayor_party =
| mayor = Giuseppe Fanfani
| area_footnotes =
| area_total_km2 = 386.25
| population_footnotes =
| population_total = 99156
| population_as_of = 31 March 2009
| pop_density_footnotes =
| population_demonym = Aretini
| elevation_footnotes =
| elevation_m = 296
| twin1 =
| twin1_country =
| saint = Saint Donatus of Arezzo
| day = 7 August
| postal_code = 52100
| area_code = 0575
| website =
| footnotes =
}}
"Arezzo" or "Arretium" () is a city and "comune" in central Italy, capital of the province of the same name, located in Tuscany. Arezzo is about south-east of Florence, at an elevation of 296 meters above sea level. In 2009 the population was about 99,000 people.

eograph

Arezzo is set on a steep hill rising from the floodplain of the Arno. In the upper part of the town are the cathedral, the town hall and the Medici Fortress ("Fortezza Medicea"), from which the main streets branch off towards the lower part as far as the gates. The upper part of the town maintains its medieval appearance despite the addition of later structures.

istor

Described by Livy as one of the "Capitae Etruriae" (Etruscan capitals), Arezzo is believed to have been one of the twelve most important Etruscan cities—the so-called Dodecapolis. Etruscan remains establish that the acropolis of San Cornelio, a small hill next to that of San Donatus, was occupied and fortified in the Etruscan period. There is other significant Etruscan evidence: parts of walls, an Etruscan necropolis on "Poggio del Sole" (still named "Hill of the Sun"), and most famously, the two bronzes, the "Chimera of Arezzo" (5th century BC) and the "Minerva" (4th century BC) which were discovered in the 16th century and taken to Florence. Increasing trade connections with Greece also brought some elite goods to the Etruscan nobles of Arezzo: the krater painted by Euphronios ca 510 BC with a battle against Amazons (in the Museo Civico, ) is unsurpassed.

Roman piece of pottery from Arezzo, Latium, found at Arikamedu in India (1st century CE), an evidence of the role of the city in Roman trade with India through Persia during the Augustan period. Musée Guimet.
Conquered by the Romans in 311 BC, Arretium became a military station on the via Cassia, the road to expansion by republican Rome into the basin of the Po. Arretium sided with Marius in the Roman Civil War, and the victorious Sulla planted a colony of his veterans in the half-demolished city, as "Arretium Fidens" ("Faithful Arretium"). The old Etruscan aristocracy was not extinguished: Caius Cilnius Maecenas, whose name is eponymous with "patron of the arts", was of the noble Aretine Etruscan stock. The city continued to flourish as "Arretium Vetus" ("Old Arretium"), the third largest city in Italy in the Augustan period, well-known in particular for its widely-exported pottery manufactures, the characteristic moulded and glazed Arretine ware , "bucchero"-ware of dark clay, and red-painted vases (the so-called "coral" vases).

Around 26-261 AD the town-council of Arezzo dedicated an inscription to its patron L. Petronius Taurus Volusianus. See that article for discussion of the possible political/military significance of Volusianus"s association with the city.

In the 3rd to 4th century, Arezzo became an episcopal seat: it is one of the few cities whose succession of bishops are known by name without interruption to the present day, in part because they were the feudal lords of the city in the Middle Ages. The Roman city was demolished, partly through the Gothic War and the invasion of the Lombards, partly dismantled, as elsewhere throughout Europe, and the stones reused for fortifications by the Aretines. Only the amphitheater remained.

The commune of Arezzo threw off the control of its bishop in 1098 and was an independent city-state until 1384. Generally Ghibelline in tendency, it opposed Guelph Florence. In 1252 the city founded its university, the "Studium". After the rout of the Battle of Campaldino (1289), which saw the death of Bishop Guglielmino Ubertini, the fortunes of Ghibelline Arezzo started to ebb, apart from a brief period under the Tarlati family, chief among them Guido Tarlati, who became bishop in 1312 and maintained good relations with the Ghibelline party. The Tarlati sought support in an alliance with Forlì and its overlords, the Ordelaffi, but failed: Arezzo yielded to Florentine domination in 1384; its individual history was subsumed by that of Florence and the Medicean Grand Duchy of Tuscany. During this period Piero della Francesca worked in the church of San Francesco di Arezzo producing the splendid frescoes, recently restored, which are Arezzo"s most famous works. Afterwards the city began an economical and cultural decay, which fortunately ensured that its medieval centre was preserved.

In the 18th century the neighbouring marshes of the Val di Chiana, south of Arezzo, were drained and the region became less malarial. At the end of the century French troops led by Napoleon Bonaparte conquered Arezzo, but the city soon turned into a resistance base against the invaders with the "Viva Maria" movement, winning the city the role of provincial capital. In 1860 Arezzo became part of the Kingdom of Italy. City buildings suffered heavy damage during World War II.

ain sight

Piazza Grande.
City wall.
The Vasari Loggia on Piazza Grande.
Cathedral of Arezzo.
The Communal Palace in Arezzo.
Church of San Domenico.
Santa Maria della Pieve.
Cimabue"s "Crucifix" in the church of San Domenico, 1265/1268.
The "Tarlati polyptych" by Pietro Lorenzetti, 1320, at "Santa Maria della Pieve", includes a depiction of Donatus of Arezzo (far left)
Amphitheatre.

iazza Grand

The Piazza Grande is the most noteworthy medieval square in the city, opening behind the thirteenth-century Romanesque apse of S. Maria della Pieve. Once the main marketplace of the city, it is currently the site of the "Giostra del Saracino" ("Joust of the Saracen"). It has a sloping pavement in red brick with limestone geometrical lines. Aside from the apse of the church, other landmarks of the square include:
*The Palace of the Lay Fraternity ("Fraternita dei Laici"): 14th-15th century palazzo, with a Gothic ground floor and a quattrocento second floor by Bernardo Rossellino.
*The" Vasari Loggia" along the north side, a flat Mannerist façade designed by Giorgio Vasari.
*Episcopal Palace, seat of the bishops, rebuilt in the mid-13th century. The interior has frescoes by Salvi Castellucci, Teofilo Torri, and Pietro Benvenuti. In front of the Palace is the Monument to Grand Duke Ferdinando I de" Medici (1595), by Pietro Francavilla, following a design of Giambologna.
*"Palazzo Cofani-Brizzolari", with the "Torre Faggiolana".
*Remains of the Communal Palace and the "Palazzo del Popolo" can also be seen.

hurche

*the Gothic Cathedral of Saint Donatus (13th-early 16th centuries). The façade remained unfinished, and was added in the twentieth century. The interior has a nave and aisles divided by massive pilasters. The left aisle has a fresco by Piero della Francesca portraying the "Madeleine". Noteworthy are also the medieval stained glass, the Tarlati Chapel (1334) and the Gothic tomb of Pope Gregory X.
*Basilica of "San Francesco" (13th-14th centuries), in Tuscan-Gothic style. Of the projectd façade cover in sculpted stone only the lower band was completed. The interior has a single nave: the main attraction is the "History of the True Cross" fresco (1453-1464) cycle by Piero della Francesca in the Bacci Chapel. Under the church is another Basilica with a nave and two aisles ("Basilica inferiore"), today used for art exhibitions.
*Romanesque church of "Santa Maria della Pieve". Its most striking feature is the massive, square-planned bell tower with double orders of mullioned windows. The church was built in the 12th century over a pre-existing Palaeo-Christian edifice, and renovated a century later with the addition of the characteristic façade made of loggias with small arches surmounted by all different-styled columns. Also from the same century is the lunette with the "Virgin between Two Angels" and the sculptures of the months (1216) over the main portal. the interior has a nave and two aisles, with a transept also added in the 13th century. In the following century chapels, niches and frescoes were added, including the polyptych of "Virgin with Child and Saints" by Pietro Lorenzetti (1320). In the crypt is a relic bust of St. Donatus (1346). From the same epoch is the hexagonal baptismal font, with panels of the "Histories of St. John the Baptist", by Giovanni d"Agostino. The "Pieve" was again renovated by Giorgio Vasari in 1560.
*Basilica of" San Domenico" (founded in 1275 and completed in the early 14th century). The interior has a single nave with a "Crucifix "by Cimabue, a masterwork of 13th century Italian art. Other artworks include a "Sts. Philip and James the Younger and St. Catherine" by Spinello Aretino and other 14th century painting and sculpture decorations.
*church of "San Michele", with a modern façade. Traces of the original Romanesque edifice and the Gothic restoration can be seen in the interior.
*"Santa Maria in Gradi" is a medieval church from the 11th or the 12th century, but was rebuilt in the late 16th century by Bartolomeo Ammannati. The interior has a single nave with stone altars (17th century) and a "Madonna of Misericordia", terracotta by Andrea della Robbia.
*Church of "St. Augustine", founded in 1257, modified in the late 15th and the late 18h centuries. The façade and the interior decoration are largely from Baroque times. The square plan bell tower is from the 15th century.
*"Badia di SS. Flora e Lucilla" (12th century). Built by Benedictine monks in the 12th century, it was totally restored in the 16th century under the direction of Giorgio Vasari. The octagonal bell tower is from 1650. The interior, in Mannerist style, has an illusionistic canvas depicting a false dome by Andrea Pozzo (1702). There are also a "St. Lawrence" fresco by Bartolomeo della Gatta (1476) and a "Crucifix" by Segna di Buonaventura (1319).
*"San Lorenzo", one of the most ancient of the city, having been built before the year 1000, most likely in Palaeo-Christian times. Rebuilt in the 13th century and restored in 1538, it was totally remaed in 1705. The apse exterior is in Romanesque style.
*Santa Maria delle Grazie, a late Gothic sanctuary with a Renaissance portal by Benedetto da Maiano (1490). It has also a marble high altar by Andrea della Robbia including a pre-existing fresco by Parri di Spinello (1428-1431). The sanctuary was built over a font dedicated to Apollo, which was destroyed by San Bernardino of Siena in 1428, building an oratory in its place. The church was erected in 1435–1444 and has a chapel entitled to St. Bernardino.
*"Santa Maria a Gradi" (1591), a monastery existing already in 1043. It has a Baroque interior, but with an altar by a collaborator of Andrea della Robbia.
*Church of "Santissima Trinità". Built in 1348, it was totalle renovated in 1723–1748 in Baroque style. It houses a 14th century Crucifix, a banner painted by Giorgio Vasari in 1572, a painting of "Noli me tangere" by Alessandro Allori (1584) and other artworks.
*"Santa Maria Maddalena", built in 1561 over a pre-14th century structure. It houses a "Madonna with Child" (Madonna of the Rose) by Spinello Aretino, visible in the high altar (c. 1525) designed by Guillaume de Marcillat. It is now private property.
*"Pieve di San Paolo", in San Paolo, erected as Palaeo-Christian baptismal church, remade in the 8th-9th centuries and then rebuilt in Romanesque style in the 13th century. The bell tower is from the 14th-15th centuries. The entire church was again renovated after the 1796 earthquake. It has kept 15th-century frescoes by Lorentino d"Andrea and a cyborium. The transept entrance has granite columns with marble capitals from the 5th century AD.
*"Pieve di Sant"Eugenia al Bagnoro", in Bagnoro. Documented from 1012, it was one of the most important "pievi" of the diocese during the Middle Ages. The presbytery area is from the 12th century, while the rest is from the 11th century. The bell tower, partially ruined, stands on one of the three apses.
*"Pieve di San Donnino a Maiano", at Palazzo del Pero (6th-9th centuries). Documented from 1064, it replaced a Palaeo-Christian baptismal church. The fronal part was rebuilt in the 14th century. The apse has 15th century frescoes and a wooden "Madonna with Child" from the same age.

ther

*Roman amphitheatre and museum.
*"Palazzo dei Priori", erected in 1333, has been the seat of the city"s magistratures until today. The edifice was numerous times restored and renovated; the interior has a court from the 16th century, a stone statue portraying a "Madonna with Child" (1339), frescoes, busts of illustrious Aretines, two paintings by Giorgio Vasari. The square tower is from 1337.
*Medici Fortress ("Fortezza Medicea"), designed by Antonio da Sangallo the Younger and completed in 1538–1560. It was partly dismantled by the French in the early 19th century.
*"Palazzo Camaiani-Albergotti" (14th century, renovated in the 16th century), with the "Torre della Bigazza".
*"Palazzo Bruni-Ciocchi", Renaissance edifice attributed to Bernardo Rossellino. It is seat of the State Museum of Medieval and Modern Art.
*"Palazzo Pretorio", which was seat of the People"s Captain until 1290. The façade has coat of armas of the captains, podestà and commissaries of the city from 14th to 18th century. Only one of the two original towers remains.
*House of Petrarch ("Casa del Petrarca").
*"Casa Vasari" (in "Via XX Settembre") an older house rebuilt in 1547 by Giorgio Vasari and frescoed by him; now open as a museum, it also contains sixteenth-century archives. The main rooms were decorated by Vasari in an illusionist manner. the drawing room, where Vasare painted the life journey of an artist, with the artistic virtues protected by the gods of antiquite represented as heavenly bodies, is remarkable.
*Ivan Bruschi House and Museum ("Casa-Museo "Ivan Bruschi").
*Gaio Cilnio Mecenate Archeological Museum.
*Civic Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art.
*UnoAErre Jewelry Museum

estival

*Arezzo is home to an annual international competition of choral singing Concorso Polifónico Guido d"Arezzo ("International Guido d"Arezzo Polyphonic Contest")
*Arezzo is home to an annual medieval festival called the Saracen Joust ("Giostra del Saracino"). In this, "knights" on horseback representing different areas of the town charge at a wooden target attached to a carving of a Saracen king and score points according to accuracy. Virtually all the town"s people dress-up in medieval costume and enthusiastically cheer on the competitors.
*From 1986 to 2006 Arezzo was also home to an annual popular music and culture festival, each July, called Arezzo Wave. Publicly funded, it attracts bands of high repute and attendees from all over Europe and North America. It also features literary and film expositions. In 2007 it was replaced by PLAY Arezzo Art Festival, still about rock music. Some artist invited in 2007 and 2008 are: Negrita,Peter Gabriel, Lou Reed, Joan Baez, Ben Harper, Goran Bregovic, Carmen Consoli, Max Gazzè, Peter Brook.

n popular cultur

* Arezzo has a starring role in Roberto Benigni"s film "Life Is Beautiful" ("La vita è bella", 1997). It is the place in which the main characters live before they are shipped off to a Nazi concentration camp.
* Arretium was used in the PC game" Rome: Total War" as the Capital of the Roman Faction of Julii.
* Dylan and Cole Sprouse were born here in 1992.

amous resident

See :Category:People from Arezzo (city), which includes people actually born in town.
* Guido d"Arezzo, the most notable music theorist of the Middle Ages and inventor of modern music notation, was born there around the year 991.
* Piero della Francesca, the painter, was born in the province of Arezzo and spent most of his life in the city.
* Petrarch, the poet.
* Pietro Aretino,author, playwright, poet and satirist who wielded immense influence on contemporary art and politics and invented modern literate pornography.
* Giorgio Vasari, the painter, architect, and biographer.
* Francesco Redi, a 17th century physician.
* In addition, Poggio Bracciolini and Michelangelo were born near the town.
* Negrita (band), a Rock, Blues, Latin Music Band.
* Daniele Bennati, cyclist.
* Federico Luzzi, Former ATP Tennis Player
* Luc Ferrari, Avant Garde Composer
* Dylan and Cole Sprouse, American actors, starring in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody and Suite Life on Deck

port

*Associazione Calcio Arezzo (A.C. Arezzo)
*Vasari Rugby Arezzo
*Club sommozzatori Calypso - Federazione Italiana Attività Subacquee - Sez. Terr. Arezzo (diving)

"Frazioni"

Agazzi, Antria, Badia San Veriano, Bagnoro, Battifolle, Campoluci, Campriano, Capolona, Ceciliano, Chiani, Chiassa Superiore, Cincelli, Frassineto, Gaville, Giovi, Gragnone, Il Matto, Indicatore, La Pace, Le Poggiola, Meliciano, Misciano, Molinelli, Molin Nuovo, Monte Sopra Rondine, Montione, Mugliano, Olmo, Ottavo, Palazzo del Pero, Patrignone, Pieve a Ranco, Poggio Ciliegio, Policiano, Pomaio, Ponte a Chiani, Ponte alla Chiassa, Pieve a Quarto, Ponte Buriano, Poti, Pratantico, Puglia, Policiano, Quarata, Rigutino, Ripa di Olmo, Rondine, Ruscello, San Firenze, San Giuliano, San Leo, San Marco Vill"Alba, San Polo, Santa Firmina, Santa Maria alla Rassinata, Sant"Andrea a Pigli, San Zeno, Sargiano, Staggiano, Stoppe d"Arca, Subbiano, Torrino, Tregozzano, Venere, Vitiano.

nternational relation

win towns — Sister citie
Arezzo is twinned with:

Arezzo participates in town twinning and friendship links with foreign towns.
* Bedford, United Kingdom (friendship link)
* Montenars, Italy, since 1977
* Saint-Priest, France, since 1981
* Eger, Hungary, since 1989
* Norman, Oklahoma, since 2009
* Oświęcim (Auschwitz), since may-June 2009

ee als

* Gian Francesco Gamurrini, an early Etruscologist.

External links


*
*
*
* and
* the official site of the Porta Crucifera quartiere - Joust of the Saracen
* including George Dennis"s chapter on the Etruscan city and further links
*




Category:Cities and towns in Tuscany
Category:Cities of Etruria
Category:Castles in Italy
Category:Romanesque architecture

ar:أريتسو
bs:Arezzo
bg:Арецо
ca:Arezzo
cs:Arezzo
co:Arezzu
da:Arezzo
de:Arezzo
et:Arezzo
es:Arezzo
eo:Areco
fa:آرتزو
fr:Arezzo
gl:Arezzo
ko:아레초
hr:Arezzo
id:Arezzo
ia:Arezzo
is:Arezzo
it:Arezzo
la:Arretium
lij:Aresso
hu:Arezzo
ms:Arezzo
nl:Arezzo (stad)
ja:アレッツォ
nap:Arezzo
no:Arezzo
nn:Arezzo
oc:Arezzo
pms:Aress
pl:Arezzo
pt:Arezzo
ro:Arezzo
qu:Arezzo
ru:Ареццо
scn:Arezzu
simple:Arezzo
sr:Арецо
sh:Arezzo
fi:Arezzo
sv:Arezzo
roa-tara:Arezzo
tr:Arezzo
uk:Ареццо
vec:Arezo
vo:Arezzo
war:Arezzo
zh:阿雷佐
Dieser Artikel stammt aus der freien Enzyklopädie Wikipedia und kann dort bearbeitet werden. Der Text ist unter der Lizenz Creative Commons Attribution/Share Alike verfügbar. Fassung vom 25.11.2017 05:03 von den Wikipedia-Autoren.
Overview
 

 

Kommentare zu diesem Artikel
 
Neuer Kommentar
Name *
Email * (wird nicht öffentlich angezeigt)
Kommentar
* Pflichtangaben
 
Diesen Artikel empfehlen

Absender Empfänger Nachricht (optional)
Name
E-Mail

Name
E-Mail
   
 
 
Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Reiseportal
 
REISEPORTAL
"Italy" (Italian: "Italia") is a large country in Southern Europe. Together with Greece, it is acknowledged as the birthplace of Western culture. Not surprisingly, it is also home to the greatest number of UNESCO World Heritage
"Italy" (; ), officially the "Italian Republic" (), a country located in south-central Europe. To the north it borders France, Switzerland, Austria and Slovenia along the Alps. To the south it consts of the entirety of the
| footnotes = }}dolina in Altamura"s territory."Altamura" is a town and "comune" of Apulia, southern Italy. It is located on the Murge plateau in the province of Bari, 45 km South-West of Bari, close to the border with Basilicata.The
| footnotes = }}"Collegno" is a "comune" (municipality) in the in the Italian region Piedmont, located about 9 km west of Turin. win towns — Sister citieCollegno is twinned with:* Antony, France* Sárospatak, Hungary* Volzhsky,
| province = (CT)| frazioni = San Giovanni Galermo| mayor_party = | mayor = Raffaele Stancanelli| area_footnotes = | area_total_km2 = 180.88| population_footnotes = | population_total =
| footnotes = }}"Rimini" () is a city and "comune" in the Emilia-Romagna region of Italy and capital city of the . It is located on the Adriatic Sea, near the coast between the rivers Marecchia (the ancient Ariminus) and Ausa (Aprusa).
 
Tipps der Redaktion aus dem Nachrichtenportal
 
NACHRICHTEN
Brussels (dpa) - British Prime Minister Theresa May used a summit in Brussels on Friday to press her European Union counterparts to approve starting trade talks later in December.At the same time, the Irish foreign minister warned that his
London (dpa) - Police responded to "a number of reports of shots fired" on London‘s busy Oxford Street and at a nearby underground station late Friday, sparking panic among shoppers and tourists.The Metropolitan Police said officers were
London (dpa) - Police have responded to "a number of reports of shots fired" on London‘s busy Oxford Street and at a nearby underground station.
Rome (dpa) - Italian authorities are telling non-governmental organizations (NGOs) not to rescue Mediterranean Sea migrants, assigning that task to Libyans, a charity group said Friday. "Instructed to stand by as Libyan Coastguard & Navy coordinate
Leipzig, Germany (dpa) - Workers at six of Amazon‘s German locations were striking on Friday to coincide with peak sales day Black Friday, an attempt to gain leverage in negotiations on better pay and working conditions. Workers in the towns
Istanbul (dpa) - US President Donald Trump pledged that there will be no further weapons deliveries to the main Syrian Kurdish militia, Turkey‘s Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu said Friday.Cavusoglu addressed reporters shortly after Trump
Wetter

Rom


(25.11.2017 05:03)

10 / 18 °C


26.11.2017
10 / 17 °C
27.11.2017
6 / 15 °C
powered by wetter.com
Stock News

Ecken
LÄNDER
STÄDTE
EUROPA-TOUREN
banner

banner

banner

banner

© europe online publishing house GmbH, Weiden, Germany, info@europeonline-magazine.eu | Impressum